January 29, 2011
This evening, some friends and I went to an outdoor drive-in/walk-up movie and watched something equivalent toWayne’s World meets Dumb and Dumberer starring Napoleon Dynamite! Though it was good practice to listen to Spanish and try to understand it, I was quite lost in the movie often. (not sure if it was not knowing the language or the theme that threw me off) Anyhow, it was a fun experience. Then, a friend from class and I went to dinner. I just returned home from dinner and it is 1:30am. I thought it was around midnight when I got home…crazy how the streets are still booming like they would be around 10pm in Texas!
The other special part of the day was going to the hospital to visit the 1 day old new granddaughter “Joaquina” of my host mom. Family is such a big deal here that when we arrived at the hospital there were about 15 people in the room. Great uncles, grandparents, sisters, nephews, etc. It was quite overwhelming! And, of course each person who arrives has to greet and meet everyone individually… The hospital room (a mini apartment) was quite fancy!
I met a guy at the hospital (a friend of the family that had the baby) that was very kind and helped me find my wayto my next destination… and gave me his number. He spoke very good English so maybe he will be a good tour guide. Lol!
January 30, 2011
I think someday my brother and I will change the entire world together. You know why I think that? We have the hardest time communicating. When I was at home we often missed each other’s messages on our cell phones and now while here it is not any better. I tried to call him four times today and either the phone said that the number was preoccupada…whatever that means , or the phone would not dial the correct numbers. So, then I thought I would come home and email him. And, the internet in the house would not turn on. Crazy…Well, Kurt, if you are reading this then know I am thinking about you, miss you and love you!
Today was a nice, relaxing Sunday. I haven’t attempted to go to church yet here, but I went to the Argentine version of the whit e house today! It was great fun. I went on a Spanish speaking only tour and took pictures of many of the rooms. But, unfortunately missed taking photos of the President’s office. Oh well, I hear she is only there a few hours a day anyway then flies home by helicopter to her destination that is 5 minutes away. (They know how to roll out the red carpet for the President here).
My other fun adventure was going to the original line of the subway and riding the wooden train. It was built I think about 100 years ago and is still in use. It shakes a little and you have to open the doors on your own, but otherwise is pretty comfortable for a subway!!
No comments:
Post a Comment