Sunday, February 13, 2011

Supermarket & Superbowl

February 12, 2011

It has been quite some time since I last wrote. This week has been full of adventures. I have been challenged with shopping at the grocery store, or “supermercado” as it is called here. It seems I tend to buy food for babies…enriched milk for children and yogurt for children. I wasn’t aware of this error until someone at the house pointed out to me later that I was drinking milk for babies. (It really tasted good).

While speaking of food, a few nights ago I came home to find my meal prepared for me on the kitchen counter. The house parents were eating out at a friend’s house. I gathered my food and took it to the table. On the counter was some lemonade in a bottle. (We usually drink juice with dinner, but I had never seen lemon flavor before) I took some and poured it into my glass then went to the table to eat. The juice was quite tart, as though it were concentrated. So, I went to the kitchen to mix it with some water. But, I still couldn’t drink it. The daughter at the house where I was staying found out what I had done and said that the “Lemonade” was actually for salads. No wonder it was so tart!

Last Sunday I went to watch the Superbowl at a sports bar in Buenos Aires. Unfortunately, only 3 or so places in the city hosted the Superbowl viewing. So, the line to get in was LONG! The place was so crowded any fire marshal in the US would have closed it down. It took an hour to even get something to drink (we didn’t try to order food) and the sad part was the place was packed with Americans who tend to be very picky about service, unappreciative and sometimes rude when they don’t get what they want. That part of the US lifestyle I don’t miss!

However, my two friends from school and I did get to watch the game announced in English. But, the commercials were in Spanish. =(

I took a video of some of the commercials so you can see what my experience was like!

2 comments:

  1. Drinking salad dressing! Awesome adventures.

    Are there a bunch of Americans down there? Mostly students and business people? Anyone who's just retired down there, you think?

    ReplyDelete