January 28, 2011
“Watch what you eat” has taken on a new meaning for me. I always thought it was just an expression, but have come to experience that it is a statement to be taken literally - WATCH what you eat. I suppose everyone who travels often has some sort of bad food experience. Let me tell you about mine!
I once saw on TV some people eating at a completely dark restaurant. The scene was filmed with night vision and viewers could see people trying to eat and experience the atmosphere without sight. My Spanish school posts several activities each week one of which was a gourmet dinner at Ciega con Luz, which is a spectacular musical dinner theater in complete darkness. Well, my adventurous self decided to sign up for the experience. And, yes, I am glad I did – well, except for one part.
Entering the restaurant we walked in a line holding onto each other’s shoulders and were guided to our tables. I sat with other 5 girls I didn’t know, but during the beginning of the meal two disappeared. So, that left 4 of us. It was fun eating with new people and getting to know them without seeing them. Only one had I seen as we walked in, so I still am not sure what the others looked like. Now, the eating was interesting. We were told before we went in that we were to eat our food from left to right, and that there would be a bread basket in the middle of the table. So, we ate and drank what they gave us. And we ate our meals with our hands until they were all gone. The waiters came and re-filled our drinks a few times and we kept eating and drinking.
Then, the show started. It was pretty good (except that I couldn’t see it) There were sounds from waterfalls to train stations. And, people would periodically walk through the restaurant and spray things that made us smell familiar scents. (I even got some kind of fresh scent sprayed in my hair once). There were people playing instruments, singing and acting too. I couldn’t understand what they were saying as it was entirely in Spanish, but they seemed to be having fun! As the last song began, then it happened...... I started feeling this sick feeling in my stomach. Oh no, I can’t go anywhere or see anything, I thought. How does a person find the restroom in a dark restaurant? So, I decided to drop to the floor where it was cooler. I was lying on the floor feeling miserable when the star of the show walked by. She somehow knew I was there and after singing a few measures asked me if I was ok. I told her no, I needed a bathroom. She had me get up and follow her to a nearby dark room. Then, she left me to finish her song! I wandered through the maze of the room until someone asked me in Spanish why I was walking alone in there. I told him I was sick and needed the bathroom. He then escorted me to a bathroom and thankfully I made it before it happened! … Yes, I lost my dinner. =( The singer came in to check on me after the show and found me lying on the floor of the bathroom still feeling miserable. Sadly, everyone thought I was just drunk. But, at that moment drunk would have been a much more fun option I am sure, for at least maybe I would have been enjoying myself. Anyhow, with some water and a few minutes I was much better. But, I think I prefer to stay in restaurants with lights from now on. (I mean, it’s hard to tell that you are dizzy when you can’t see anything)
Then, in the mall earlier today I thought I would go to the Japanese grill and order something fun! It was cool because I got to watch the chef cook it in front of me and saw what he was putting into the meal, or at least I thought so….One of the promos (specials) of the day had rice, an egg, “fruits of the sea”, oil etc… So, I ordered it and eagerly anticipated eating some good Asian food. I got to my table and yes, the dish was good. While enjoying it, I happened to look in my bowl and one of the special “fruits” was a sardine head. Lovely, well I took it out and ate the rest. I will have to watch what I eat more often (and make sure it is not watching me back!)
No comments:
Post a Comment