February 20, 2011
I have had an amazing week! Today I have stayed at home all day. I slept until 11 because I was out with two couples until 2:30am. (That’s early to go home here). I also took a 3 hour nap because yesterday I had a once in a lifetime experience to climb (trek) two mountains in one day. I am not sure when my body will forgive me for the adventure. In case you were not aware, my brother inherited the athletic genes in my body and I the musical genes. So, working out has not been a priority for me. But, here’s how yesterday transpired.
Friday I met the cousin of the lady I am staying with in Mendoza. She was really fun to talk to and in the conversation, she and the family I live with invited me on a hiking (trekking) excursion the next day (which was yesterday) for 7 hours. She mentioned that her husband is very athletic and walks fast, but she said there were 6 who were planning to go, and we could have a fast group and a slow group. She also said the whole trip would be 7 hours, not just the hiking. So, I thought I would go.
Storms then came that night. What I didn’t know at first was that almost every one backed out except for the athlete (the guide) and the husband of the house where I am staying. So, we three drove to the mountains. I knew I was in trouble when it was going to be just me and two strong guys. On the way, the guide asked me if I played sports – ouch! That’s another strike against my abilities! But, we arrived and proceeded to get out of the car and prepare to trek. Then, he looked at my shoes and said, “You are going trekking in those?” I took my rubber skechers because I thought they had better traction than my tennis shoes. But, they were sandals with a strap on them. I did wear socks, so I thought if it got cold that would be sufficient! Then, he pulled out some poles that we were to use to walk with. What? I have never used poles to hike before.
I had NO idea what I was in for. Before the day was over, we had trekked for at least 5 hours in rain, snow, sliding rocks and steep hills. I had many falls with my crazy shoes and lack of skill in the terrain. I have bruises, scrapes and pain on my arms and legs. One time I fell down a hill on a big rock and for the first time in my life I was thankful for the extra padding I have on my back-side. It saved me from much pain!
Unfortunately, most of the trip we had rain. So, I was unable to capture photos of the spectacular view that I am sure we would have had. We reached the summit of Andrecito and I was excited that I had completed the mission! Then, with a quick 5 min break it was time to head down. We approached the bottom and the guide asked me if I could handle two hours more. With my German and British roots, I was not going to be a sissy. I was a bit tired, but felt energy to continue. I told him, No problem. Let’s go!
And, we did. However, much of the time I was about 30 steps behind the guys and they were waiting for me up ahead! The second mountain was much taller and much steeper. It was 2,500 meters (about 8,000 feet above sea level). Of course we didn’t start climbing at sea level (thankfully). There was a gorgeous cascade that we crossed many times back and forth to reach our destination. From afar we saw guanacos and wild horses. My socks were soaked, my hair was soaked, my hands were cold and for much of the trip I wore two coats and gloves. But, I must say it was spectacular! We had walked for about an hour up hill, and the guide said it will only be 1 1 /2 hours more to the summit. What? I know we are on Argentine time, but he asked me if I could handle two more hours at the base. I wasn’t thinking about 2 hours up and 2 more back down. My pace was starting to slow and I was getting tired. I didn’t think I could go on much farther.
We got to a point where the ground was level, and pulled out some snacks to eat. Our guide whom we referred to as “The Dictator” told us we had to keep moving. He had explained to us before we arrived that there was something called Blanco Muerte (white death). He said it was important to keep your pace on the mountain and not rest for more than two minutes or so, because with the lack of oxygen a person tends to get sleepy. Then, when they drift off to sleep they often die because their body systems start to shut down. So, he told us that even though we were on the beginner mountains, it was important to not stop for lengthy periods of time. So, we pressed on. However, the other gentleman and I were about to have a revolt because we were feeling tired and didn’t think we could go on for 1 ½ more hours! We had a discussion (in Spanish of course) and I said I thought I could go on for about 10 more minutes. I told the guide I couldn’t keep going and he said he knew, but to just trust him.
We pressed on, and in 10 minutes reached the summit. With much laughter, the guide told us he was joking about 1 ½ more hours. Wow, what a feeling though. I can’t describe how it feels inside – first of all there is relief to have made it to the top and secondly there’s a sense of conquering something! Maybe that’s how the pioneers felt when they travelled across the sea and finally reached a new land. There’s a sense of victory that is felt!!!
So, Arenales and Andrecito are now the two mountains I have climbed! Soaking wet, the three of us then drove home and went to the theater to buy tickets for a movie for them, their wives and me to attend last night. After the movie, we all went out and had food and drinks, while the men relayed the stories of the mountains to their wives (and talked about many other things that I could not understand because they speak so fast in Spanish) Then, I came home to sleep! And, even with sleeping late today, eating a big asado (barbecue) lunch and taking a 3 hour nap, I am still tired!
GO WENDY! You are a stud. I would have DIED on that trip! Your adventures are amazing and I'm so glad you are getting to have them. :)
ReplyDelete