Monday, February 21, 2011

My first day in Mendoza

A dog walking a girl in the park
A cool plant in the Park
A Mushroom Tree
Children playing in the fountain
The trees here are so tall!

My new family here greeted me well and showed me how to get around the city on the map. Then, we ate a huge lunch fixed by grandma who lives next door. There are two young boys in the family (5 and 6). The family is very warm and I was very surprised with my Spanish skills to be able to communicate much better! (I think they speak slower here.) Yay!

I went to the park nearby to spend some time reading. It was very beautiful! I tend to smile at people when I walk down the street. It is normal in Texas to smile at a stranger. But here, people don’t talk to strangers much. They wait to be introduced. As usual, when I walked down the street today, I smiled at people. One elderly lady smiled back and I wanted to hug her! I didn’t realize how much a smile could do for a person!!!

I feel like I changed countries since I left Buenos Aires. Mendoza and Buenos Aires are very different.

In Buenos Aires, there were no (very few) flies, mosquitoes or other bugs. In Mendoza there are bugs (just like Texas). So far today I have been attacked by a fly, an ant and have killed several mosquitoes!

In Buenos Aires, the flags are not Argentine Blue, but rather gray from smog! Here, the air is clear and the flags hold their true colors.

In Buenos Aires, 24/7 there was noise of people, buses etc. Here, I am listening to crickets while I type this.

In Buenos Aires there are many people with blonde hair and fair skin. In Mendoza, there are still some, but more people with Indian background than just Spanish or Italian. Likewise the buildings here are typical Latino buildings whereas Buenos Aires feels like Europe.

I traded a high rise apartment life where all the children were grown for a cozy house with two young children.

So, now I will enjoy the next few weeks at my new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment