The view from my bedroom window
January 16, 2011
I am here now at my new home unpacked and well fed. I have met my host family, but unfortunately will have to ask their names again. Graciela and Christian I think? Anyhow, a couple of cool things have happened today. One, I have starting subconsciously thinking of worship songs in Spanish! I often have songs in my head but today I have been thinking of Spanish songs!!! Two, there is an amazing view of the city from my high rise window. I am on the 7th floor! WOW!!!! I am excited to breathe it all in… The city sounds and smells so amazing and I am ecstatic to be here! Is this really happening to me? Yes, I just slapped myself and I am really here. It is not just a dream. Argentina, I love you already!
Wow, so it is nearly 11pm (I am still on Texas time where it is only 8pm). The city is still hustling and bustling, but I must prepare for my first day of classes tomorrow morning. I think I’ll read a little more of Narnia’s tales and drift off to sleep eventually.
January 17, 2011
After much fighting with the toilet, I finally got it to cut off. It is amazing what one can miss when given instructions in a foreign language on how to use an appliance. However, I began Kindergarten again today. After more than 15 years being out of school, I started in the 2nd week of Spanish classes. (With all my Spanish background I somehow managed to only test out of one week… eek!) My host mom walked me to school today and even went inside with me to be sure I got there. It was so great to have someone looking out for me in this big city. I only went to 1 ½ hrs of class because of the placement exam, but I was still exhausted. We studied, played Pictionary in Spanish – muy dificil and then were served lunch and given a list of the do’s and don’ts of school. After class, I walked back to my neighborhood with my new friend Julie of Germany and David of Switzerland. We stopped along the way and ate ice cream. Wow, was that a big ice cream cone! I came home, rested, finished reading one of Narnia’s tales and now need to study!!! After all, that’s what I am here for (I think).
Much later… Wow, I am so tired. I have done some homework and just finished with dinner. It is now about 11pm. Dinner is so much later here! But, I guess my schedule is similar to that at home… Awaken at 730 here, which is 430 back home. Go to bed at midnight here which is 9 back home. … Well, I shall study a bit more then prepare for bed and class tomorrow.
I've heard that South Americans eat dinner later. That actually sorta sounds like Austin to me, what with all our night life. The Wing Stop near my house cooks up tasty garlic-and-parmesan wings as well as teriyaki and cajun style up until midnight!
ReplyDelete